Skip to content

June 30, 2013 Weekly Weather and Mineral Guess

June 30, 2013
Greetings from the Bluff Park Back Porch:

Sad to report that Tommy, The Party Cat, has passed on.

For the previous week, 0.7 inches of rain fell on BP2 .  The weekly high was 91 and the weekly low was 66.

Metro Birmingham Forecast for the New Week:

–     There is a 20% – 60% chance of rain for the week  Rainfall amounts will vary from 0.20″ to 0.55″ for the week.
–     Weekly forecast high and low are 86 and 66.  High temperatures will be down for this time of year.
–     Fourth of July looks like 40% chance of rain, 60%, 0.40″, with a high of 85.


Elemental Mineral Guest:

Our elemental guest this week is a chemical element with symbol Ir and atomic number 77.

–     Ir is a very hard, brittle, silvery-white transition metal of the platinum family,
–     Ir is found in nature as an uncombined element or in natural alloys of Platinum Group Metals.
–     Ir is the signature element in massive extraterrestrial object impacts.
–     Ir is used in high end spark plugs and other electronic related applications.  Os is used in long life aircraft engine parts.  And as a catalyst in various chemical reactions.

What is it?  I r _ _ _ _.



Weather Guesses


Alabama All Weather Hazards Awareness:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/bmx/aware/swaw_2011/web_version2.pdf

NWS, Huntsville, AL
:            http://www.srh.noaa.gov/hun/
NWS, Birmingham, AL:        http://www.srh.noaa.gov/bmx/
NWS, Mobile, AL:                   http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mob/

Metro Birmingham.  Compliments of ABC3340
http://www.alabamawx.com/?page_id=31752

Sun_PM_T-Storms_Icon Sunday June 30
Partly sunny.  Less muggy. A slight chance of an afternoon/evening shower or storm.
Afternoon High 86
Wind: NW 6-14 mph    Sun percentage: 65%    Hours of rain: 1/2
Rain potential: 0.20″    Severe weather threat: None
Sun_PM_T-Storms_Icon Monday July 1
Partly sunny.  Back to muggy.  Scattered PM showers/storms.
Morning Low 67   Afternoon High 85
Wind: W/NW 6-12 mph    Sun percentage: 60%    Hours of rain: 1/2
Rain potential: 0.25″    Severe weather threat: None
Sun_PM_T-Storms_Icon Tuesday July 2
Scattered showers and storms remain possible.
Morning Low 67  Afternoon High 85
Wind: W/SW 6-12 mph    Sun percentage: 60%    Hours of rain: 1/2
Rain potential: 0.25″    Severe weather threat: None
Sun_PM_T-Storms_Icon Wednesday July 3
Humid with afternoon showers or thunderstorms.
Morning Low 68  Afternoon High 84
Wind: S/W 6-12 mph    Sun percentage: 55%    Hours of rain: 1/2
Rain potential: 0.30″    Severe weather threat: None
Sun_PM_T-Storms_Icon Thursday July 4
Independence Day. Scattered showers and thunderstorms.
Morning Low 69   Afternoon High 85
Wind: SE 6-12 mph    Sun percentage: 50%    Hours of rain: 3/4
Rain potential: 0.40″    Severe weather threat: None
Sun_PM_T-Storms_Icon Friday July 5
Partly sunny.  A good chance of afternoon/evening showers/storms.
Morning Low 71 Afternoon High 84
Wind: SE 6-12 mph   Sun percentage: 55% Hours of rain: 1/2
Rain potential: 0.35″ Severe weather threat: None
Sun_PM_T-Storms_Icon Saturday July 6
Partly sunny to cloudy at times. Showers and storms a good bet.
Morning Low 70 Afternoon High 85
Wind: S 6-12 mph   Sun percentage: 50% Hours of rain: 1
Rain potential: 0.55″ Severe weather threat: None

Monthly Forecast by AccuWeather: 
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/birmingham-al/35203/may-weather/346630?monyr=5/1/2013

Alabama Climate Data
http://nsstc.uah.edu/alclimate/climate/daily_climate.php


Minerals and Rocks = “The Good Life from the Ground”
“If it ain’t grown, its got to be mined”

Interactive Periodic Table


Palladium, platinum, rhodium, ruthenium, iridium and osmium form a group of elements referred to as the platinum group metals (PGMs).

Iridium is our elemental guest this week.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium

Iridium Images:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=ytff1-sunm&va=Iridium

Iridium Jewelry Images:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=ytff1-sunm&va=Iridium+Jewelry

Iridium is hard and brittle to use in jewelry and is generally combined with platinum.

>     Therefore, only a few pretty pictures.

Within the Earth’s crust, osmium, like iridium, is found at highest concentrations in three types of geologic structure: igneous deposits (crustal intrusions from below), impact craters, and deposits reworked from one of the former structures.


Metal Prices

Base Metals:  http://www.kitcometals.com/

Gold:  http://www.kitco.com/market/

Iridium:  $925 per Troy ounce.


Enjoy the attached pictures.

Have A Good Week!

Randy/Randall

Iridium Spark Plug

Iridium Spark Plug

Sapphire-Diamond-Platinum-Iridium Ring by Tiffany

Sapphire-Diamond-Platinum-Iridium Ring by Tiffany

Iridium:  Cretaceous-Tertiary Boundary > Impact > End of Dinosaurs

Iridium: Cretaceous-Tertiary Boundary > Impact > End of Dinosaurs

Iridium Fountain Pen Nib

Iridium Fountain Pen Nib

Iridium Ring

Iridium Ring

Iridium Bearing, Willamette Meterorite.  AMNS

Iridium Bearing, Willamette Meterorite. AMNS

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: